Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment to the Internship programme of the Electoral Commission, a state institution established in terms of Chapter 9 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa. It is the Commission’s intention to promote equity. Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
FINANCE INTERNSHIP: Corporate Services
Provincial Office (Durban)
Twenty-Four Months (24) contract at R9,471.28 per month
The Intern: Finance will contribute towards the efficient co-ordination of financial management in the organisation. Asset Management, will be trained, exposed to and assist in contributing towards the efficient management and control of the assets processes and assets within the Organisation. The exposure may be extended to other areas within financial management unit within the organisation. The Intern reports to the Deputy Manager: Corporate Services
Key performance areas: Assist staff with their tasks and responsibilities related to financial administration. Daily activities to learn includes i.e. processing of purchase requisitions and purchase orders; participate in bid evaluations at the province; capturing of creditor’s payments, bank and cash, irregular fruitless and irregular expenditure. Assist with various administrative duties within the department that will include asset management, report requirements and filing/ archiving.
General administrative duties: Record, organise, store, capture and retrieve correspondence and data; Update registers and statistics; Responding to queries; Record statistics of monthly work undertaken; Compilation and distribution of documents/packages to various stakeholders as required; Keep and maintain the filing system for the office; Keep and maintain the incoming and outgoing register of the unit; manage stationery requirements.
Basic requirements: Applicants must have completed and be in possession of Matric / N3 certificate and a tertiary qualification (Degree or Diploma) in Finance/ Financial Management, Accounting. The candidate must possess good communication skills (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills. He/ she must be computer literate with good working knowledge of MS Word and MS Excel and possess the following attributes: ability to work under pressure; be prepared to work long hours; pro-active; decisive; confident and be service driven. Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and verbally. Computer literate, familiar with the Microsoft Office Suite. Willingness to learn to work with new software and applications.
The ideal candidate must have the following attributes
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team under supervision.
- Good time management.
- Confident in engaging with other role-players.
- Dedication to the tasks at hand and willingness to work long hours, including weekends, when needed.
- Service driven.
- Good interpersonal skills.
It is preferred for the candidate to be in possession of a valid driver’s license.
Applications must be accompanied by a recent, updated comprehensive curriculum vitae as well as certified copies of all qualification documents and identity documents. Failure to attach the requested documents will result in the application not being considered.
The Electoral Commission will only correspond with short-listed candidates and interviews will be conducted on a date and time specified by the Interview panel. The Electoral Commission is under no obligation to fill the position after advertising it and reserves the right not to make any appointment in the above post. Although advertised, a position may be withdrawn, re-advertised or filled by way of transfer or deployment, should it be considered in the interest of service delivery.
NB! Applicants must be 35 years of age or below and must not have been an Intern or worked before to qualify for this programme.
Closing date for all applications: 27 November 2023. Please take note that no applications received after the advertised closing date will be considered. “Applicants who have not been contacted by 31 December 2023 must consider their applications as not being successful”.
- Applicants for the above position/s should not have a high party political profile
- Should applicants be in possession of a foreign qualification, it must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
- All applications must include:
- a covering letter with a recent, updated comprehensive curriculum vitae;
- a copy of all qualification documents;
- a copy of identity document; and
- a copy of driver’s licence (if required).
- Failure to submit the requested documents will result in the application not being considered.
- Please note that recommended candidates will undergo risk assessments, including inter alia the verification of curricula vitae, all qualifications, criminal and credit assessments and appointments will only be made upon positive verification thereof
- The Electoral Commission will only correspond with short-listed candidates.
- The Electoral Commission is under no obligation to fill the position/s and reserves the right not to make any appointment in the above post/s. Although advertised, positions may thus either be withdrawn, re-advertised or filled by way of transfer or deployment, should it be considered in the interest of service delivery.